is a remote video surveillance application using a PC running the Windows operating system and a webcam, a digital camera or a camcorder connected to the PC through a video capture card or an USB port. A permanent Internet connection (cable, DSL, ...) is needed for full functionality.
VIDIS Pro has a choice of two operating modes: Continual Website Update and Motion Detection.
1) Continual periodic website update:
A picture of the area
covered by the
camera is periodically uploaded via FTP to the user's own webspace on the remote server of his ISP or hosting company after an interval specified by the user and ranging from 1 minute to 999 minutes (approx. 16.5 hours). This image can be viewed in a web browser from any computer connected to the Internet. The web browser view is also periodically refreshed (selectable between 30 seconds and 10 minutes). Users need access to web storage space which is FTP-accessible for this option.
This approach avoids unnecessary bandwidth usage as the connection to the remote server is limited to short periods at intervals fixed by the user.
The size of the
website image and the automatic refresh rate of the web browser can be changed from within the program.
If the remote server becomes unreachable or unavailable the attempts to update the
website are reduced to one attempt every 10 minutes. They resume at the refresh rate fixed by the user as soon as the functionality of the remote server is restored.
If the remote host remains inaccessible after one hour VIDIS Pro
can continue its attempts to update until the server becomes accessible again or stop its attempts altogether and return to the idle state. In the latter case an information email can be sent to the user and/or another person.
2) Motion Detection:
Images are stored on the local
harddisk and, optionally, on the remote server, only when motion is detected. The threshold and sensitivity of the detection are adjustable, as is the interval between consecutive
If the computer is connected to the Internet and the user owns webspace with FTP access, the motion detection images are uploaded to the remote server by way of FTP
and the user and/or another person can optionally be notified by email that movement has been detected.
If the computer is connected to the Internet but the user does not
have webspace with FTP access, the motion detection images can be sent to his email address as attachments to email messages.
The static motion detection images stored on the
local harddisk (or stored on the remote server and downloaded from there) can be "animated", i.e. viewed sequentially with adjustable speed, thus recreating the movement
Picture files stored on the remote server can be viewed, downloaded or deleted from within the program or from another computer in a web browser. The names of these
files are timestamped and contain the date and the time of the movement detection.
The camera view is continuously visible in the local monitor window and the program has
options to take snapshots (bmp files) or video recordings (avi files) of the displayed scenes. These are stored on the local harddisk.
A setup Wizard helps the user configure
the basic network settings when the program is run for the first time.
- Supports most webcams, digital cameras and camcorders connected to a video capture card or an USB port
- Continuous monitoring by uploading an image after each
user specified interval (1 to 999 minutes) (*)
- Images can be viewed in a web browser from any computer connected to the Internet
- Web browser view is automatically and periodically refreshed (selectable between 30 seconds and 10 minutes)
- Avoids unnecessary bandwidth usage as the connection
to the remote server is limited to short periods at selected intervals
- Size of website image and web browser refresh rate are adjustable from within the program
- Motion detection option: images are stored on local disk or uploaded to remote server only when movement is detected
- Threshold and sensitivity of motion
detection and interval between checks are adjustable to avoid false alerts
- User and/or other person can be notified of detected movement
and/or of remote host failure by email
- If no webspace with FTP access is available the motion detection images can be sent by email
- Static motion
detection images stored on the local hard disk can be "animated" to recreate movement sequence with adjustable speed
- Picture files stored on the remote
server can be viewed, downloaded or deleted from within the program
- The names of the image files contain the date and the time of the movement detection allowing easy
- Option to manually take snapshots or make video recordings of the camera view as displayed on the monitor screen
- Configuration Wizard for quick setup of the program
(*) Note: For continuous periodic Website Update and related functions, such as Remote Host Management and Browser View and Access editing, web storage space with FTP access is required.
Installation and use
Installation is automatic: just double click the file Setup.exe. However, for the program to start automatically each time you boot your computer, you should put a shortcut
to it in your Startup group.
Uninstall by clicking the Uninstall icon in the VIDIS
program group or using the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel.
The very first time you run VIDIS, and even before the Setup and Configuration
Wizard is started, you will be prompted to select a Capture driver. A list of the compatible capture drivers found on the system will be presented and you should
select a driver that is suitable for the camera you intend to use.
For many webcams and other cameras or camcorders, the default Microsoft WDM Image Capture driver is a good
Note that you will get an error if you try to run the program without a camera connected to the computer.
- Computer running 32 bit Windows OS (Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7)
- Webcam, digital camera or camcorder connected to PC by way of a
video capture card or an USB port
- Permanent or semi-permanent
Internet connection (cable, DSL, ...). Dial up connections by traditional dial up modem are not supported unless the connection is made before starting the VIDIS software and maintained until after its closing.
VIDIS is now freeware.
Register your copy with the following serial number: 1B1A-E375-264F-E2E5