is a remote video surveillance application using a PC running the Windows operating system and a webcam, digital camera or camcorder connected to the PC through a video capture card or an USB port. A permanent Internet connection (cable, DSL, ...) is needed for full functionality.
is a simplified and free implementation of the more complete VIDIS Pro software and its functionality is limited to the viewing of periodic images over the Internet without the options related to motion detection, without email notifications and with less configuration options.
A picture of the area covered by the camera is periodically uploaded via FTP to the
user's own webspace on the remote server of his ISP or hosting company after an interval specified by the user and ranging from 1 minute to 999 minutes (approx. 16.5 hours).
This image can be viewed in a web browser from any computer connected to the Internet. The web browser view is automatically refreshed every minute. Users need access to web storage
space which is FTP-accessible for this option.
This approach avoids unnecessary bandwidth usage as the connection to the remote server is limited to short periods at intervals
fixed by the user.
The camera view is
continuously visible in the local monitor window and the program has options to take snapshots (bmp files) or video recordings (avi files) of the displayed scenes.
Wizard helps the user configure the basic network settings when the program is run for the first time.
- Supports most webcams, digital cameras and camcorders connected to a video capture card or an USB port
- Continuous monitoring by uploading an image after each
user specified interval (1 to 999 minutes)
- Images can be viewed in a web browser from any computer connected to the Internet
- Web browser view is automatically refreshed every minute
- Avoids unnecessary bandwidth usage as the
connection to the remote server is limited to short periods at selected intervals
- Option to manually take snapshots or make video recordings of the camera view as
displayed on the monitor screen
- Configuration Wizard for quick setup of the program
Installation and use
Installation is automatic: just double click the file Setup.exe.
However, for the program to start automatically each time you boot your computer, you should put a shortcut to it in your Startup group.
Uninstall by clicking the Uninstall icon in the VIDIS Lite program group or using the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel.
The very first time you run VIDIS Lite, and even before the Setup and Configuration Wizard is started, you will be
prompted to select a Capture driver. A list of the compatible capture drivers found on the system will be presented and you should select a driver that is suitable for the camera you intend to use.
For many webcams and other cameras or camcorders, the default Microsoft WDM Image Capture driver is a good choice.
Note that you will get an error if you try to run the
program without a camera connected to the computer.
- Computer running 32 bit Windows OS (Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7)
- Webcam, digital camera or camcorder connected to PC by way of a video
capture card or an USB port
- Permanent or semi-permanent Internet connection (cable, DSL, ...). Dial up connections by traditional dial up modem are not supported unless the
connection is made before starting the VIDIS software and maintained until after its closing.
VIDIS Lite is freeware for personal and non commercial use.